My Faves!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Same Same, but Different

So, in Southeast Asia a big phrase is same- same. You use it when something means the same. Like, watermelon same same dtangmo. haha Everybody says it, kids as young as 2 and adults who could be grandparents. Everybody knows "same-same." It probably sounds really silly to you, but it's become second nature to me, not only to hear it but to use it. haha

Anyways, my class has certain topics they have to learn each week and this week is animals. They are making these really cute animal books and they make a couple pages each day. Yesterday they were doing the mammal pages and they had to write down some of the animal names of the pictures shown. So I was helping them out and writing the words on the board and going through everything with them. I mean, it's quite a big task for a four year old to do. We did such a great job for dog, mouse, and rhinoceros, but I made a huge mistake when it came to cat. I asked them what the animal was and they said cat, so I said, "okay! cat- /k/ /a/ /t/; that's a k, a, t." Then I proceeded to write "kat" on the board.

Luckily I realized what I did as soon as I wrote it down, and I quickly corrected myself, but half of my students have now spelled "kat" in their book. I'm sure their parents will appreciate it. hahahaha

It also clicked in their little heads that I was Miss Kat and the animal was a cat. We have a lot of problems now because of this. They meow a lot now and yell "same-same" at me. They think it's great. I think it's obnoxious. hahahahaha

Other than this particular story, I have nothing super exciting or important to tell you. Not that that story was important. hahaha Last week was really strange because I stayed home Thursday and Friday from work because I was sick. Everybody is sick right now. I think it's the Thai flu or something. I did kinda wonder if Dengue Fever was going around, but I don't think it is. hahaha To make myself feel better I went shopping in Bangkok over the weekend. I love shopping here. I justify buying things by converting the money into dollars, but then later I realize that I only make so much baht... hahaha It's worth it though. haha

Get excited for Thanksgiving! I'm crossing my fingers for Mexican food that night! hahaha

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Hi Katherine Hanna!! I hope you are feeling great now!! AND I hope you get your wish and have mexican food for Thanksgiving!! LOL I wish we could cook together but we will next year. LOVE YOU!! MOM XOXO

Petros said...

I bought a shirt here that says "Same Same" on the front and "but different" on the back. It's really funny and I bet no one will get it back home.