My Faves!

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Post Office Adventures

My mom has sent me an awesome Christmas package. It is so incredibly awesome that the Thai post office people have confiscated it and taxed it and taken it to the post office to make my life slightly more complicated. haha

(It's a new camera!!! Thanks mom! I really needed that!)

So, yesterday I hurried home from school forgetting about my stupid regime of getting some exercise and saving money by walking and instead took a baht bus home. Then I went up to my room, grabbed the magical slip of paper that will get me my Christmas package, and went down to meet my motorbike taxi friends at the corner. Sadly they told me that the post office was closed and to try again tomorrow. Um, okay. haha

Today I skipped going home and found a motorbike taxi right outside of the school. I told him that I needed to go to the post office. I even showed him the address of the post office written down in Thai. I asked him if he knew where it was and he said yes. He charged me A LOT of baht to go there. After a very long ride, he finally dropped me off at some random building that looked pretty official. I noticed that their were no motorbike taxis in sight and I asked him to stay and wait and then I would pay him to drive me home. He said that was great and he would wait. I then walked inside the building and asked a man where I should go to pick up a package and he looked at me like I was crazy.

This is when I realized I was not at the post office. hahaha

He was able to communicate to me that I was in the wrong place and that the post office normally closes at 4, but it should be open on Saturday. He was unable to tell me where I was though. haha I went outside to find my motorbike guy and found that he left me and then I panicked. I mean, I really panicked. There was pacing and heavy breathing involved. hahaha

After a few seconds of panicking, I calmed down and began to walk. I only had to walk a short distance before I found the Banglamung Police Station. I approached a nice looking police officer and asked him if he knew of where I could find a way home. I think he enjoyed practicing his English with me because soon I was in a police truck going into town. He dropped me off about 5 minutes later at a corner near a 7-Eleven and negotiated with a motorbike driver a very good price to get me home. I think it was a good price anyway, it was about 1/3 of what I paid to get there...

The day improved as soon as I got home. My motorbike friend, Butt (Yes, that is his name and that is how you spell it, haha), told me that he would take me to the real post office on Saturday. I got another package from my Grandma that had Christmas cookies in it! and I got a call for a job interview on Monday. It was very very exciting.

Hopefully I'll finally get that camera this weekend!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Ha Ha! I just want you to know there is more in that package than a camera. I hope you get it all!!!
Love you MOM XOXO
Good luck on the job hunt =)