My Faves!

Friday, December 26, 2008

Happy Christmas Y'all!

Happy belated Christmas everybody! Sorry, I wasn't able to post earlier. This past week has been a big blur. On Monday I went to two job interviews and got an awesome new job in Bangkok. I'm super excited about it. I start on January 5th at New Sathorn International School as a Kindergarten 3 teacher. The school is just as nice or nicer than any Plano school, which is absolutely amazing. I couldn't believe all the resources they had and all the books! haha I will actually get to teach the way I would want to teach, instead of just throwing whatever little I have together and singing many songs about turtles. haha

Wednesday was Christmas Eve. We had our big Christmas show at Phoenix that day. The assistants had spent the past two weeks decorating and preparing the show, so the school was pretty decked out. It wasn't very Christmas-sy though. A lot of the colors that were hung up seemed to be pink and white and the backdrop to the stage was the Thai Flag with pink letters going across it saying "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year". Then, they cut out about 5 or 6 children of different nationalities and hung them up underneath. They did not represent America though. I was kindof offended, but then I realized they didn't represent Austrailia or Canada either, so only 2 out of the 6 English teachers were represented.

My kids had to wait a while before they got to perform, so I was stuck in a classroom with them for a few hours doing nothing. I walked in the room and was absolutely horrified by what I saw. My girls were wearing hot pink fluffy short skirts, black tights, and black halter tops with pink and black sequins. My boys were wearing silver shirts and pants with hot pink stars on them. The costumes had transformed my boys into little martians and my girls into showgirls. It was terrible. hahaha Their dance was to "Up on the Housetop", so it made absolutely no sense whatsoever. The girls were wearing so much makeup that one little girl put her head on my lap and left an entire imprint of her face on my pant leg. I couldn't help but laugh at them. Luckily, they were not the most ridiculous looking kids in the bunch (but almost...), and they seemed to enjoy themselves.

Then that night people came in from Bangkok and we went out dancing! I was so excited to go dancing because Ben and I had been practicing all the new moves we had learned from the Kindergarten show. hahahaha It was definitely the weirdest Christmas Eve I've ever had. I was out until about 3 in the morning dancing at a club called Lucifers... it just doesn't seem right. We had fun though.

Christmas Day everybody woke up slowly and settled outside of LanguageCorps to hang out until dinner, which was actually around 3 that afternoon. Dinner was grrr-eat. We had turkey, ham, stuffing, cranberries, mashed potatoes... all the usual stuff for a good Christmas dinner! I haven't had Western food in a REALLY long time and it was absolutely wonderful! I don't think my stomach was used to it though, because that night it felt all funny and I had to go get a couple buns to make it feel better. haha

Yesterday, Boxing Day (for all my English, Australian, Canadian friends), I packed up my stuff and took a taxi to Bangkok! I now need to find a place to live, pronto. Which hopefully, shouldn't be too hard. Tricia and I are going to live together and we are pumped! haha

I hope everybody had a great Christmas back home! I have definitely been thinking about y'all a lot lately and missing you! Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Hi Katherine Hanna!! Congrats on the job!! I knew you would find one quick! Sounds like you had a very fun (but different) Chritmas. I'm glad. You were missed here! Talk to you soon. Love you! MOM XOXO

Lyndsey said...

your stories always make me laugh, and i'm glad the incredibly wierd Christmas Eve thing turned out ok, lol. i didn't realize you'd been looking for a job- how long will you be in bangkok? love!!!