My Faves!

Saturday, September 27, 2008

7-Eleven

Hi. haha I've been having one of those weekends that I thought every average weekend here would be kinda like. It's nice when your expectations are met. Because it isn't like I've done anything too special or anything. Anyways, it's nice. haha

I don't know if you guys are aware, but 7-Eleven is an extremely big deal here. People are always popping in to 7-Eleven for something. I go at least once everyday. haha There is one every few meters. haha There are 96 in Pattaya to be exact. I read it in a brochure. You know how in western countries people stop off at starbucks on their way to work to grab a coffee? Well I stop my bike at 7-Eleven every morning to buy a diet coke. And every morning the same person rings up my diet coke and says to me "diet?" and looks at me like I'm insane, because -omg, my coke says light- and that is just not acceptable in Thailand, but I slap down my 14 baht, say kap koon ka and leave, eager to open my diet coke for energy to get me to school. It is, after all, quite a bike ride.

Anyways, I went to the market last night, the Khae Ha market, to wander around. After careful scrutiny and lots of market shopping, I've decided that this is definitely the best market in Pattaya and it's only open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night and it requires me to get a taxi. While I was there I saw a pair of jean shorts with the 7-Eleven logo on the pockets and I thought it was hilarious and I really really wanted to buy them, but my money situation is also a little bit hilarious right now and therefore, I could not buy them. haha My first thought when seeing the shorts was "why would anybody want jean shorts with two giant 7-eleven logos on their butt?" and my second thought was "why would anybody not want those shorts? haha they are so funny!" haha

While I was at the market, I also decided to try to walk with the flow of traffic instead of zooming past everybody like I normally do here. Thai people walk at the speed of a snail. Do you know how slow a snail is? Other westerners who come here walk slightly faster, possibly the speed of a turtle. This is a very difficult thing for me to deal with seeing as I walk fast and I don't see any reason why anybody would walk any slower than me. Anyways, I tried to walk as slow as the other people and it was actually painful for me to move that slowly. I had to think way too hard of what to do with my legs when they weren't moving for such a long period of time. I have no idea how they do it. I know Thailand is all "stress free" and "slow pace of life" and stuff like that, but walking that slow stresses me out.

So my average weekend has included so far- dinner at a vientiane restaurant, walking street, a thai massage, khae ha market- I'm thinking I should probably go to the beach today to tie everything together.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Kat you walk absurdly too fast...so I don't really trust your snail theory! :) Sorry but you walk at the speed of a leopard (i tried to think of some fast animal) haha! Hope you have a good Monday!

Kelli said...

Hey Katherine Hanna!! I love reading your entries. I will be there in 17 days! Yay!! I'm sooo excited. LOVE YOU MOM XOXO