My Faves!

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Big Biking Accident

I have made a reputation for myself here. It's called being accident prone. haha It's much like my reputation at home.

I rode my bike to school on Monday. It was a nice day for riding the bike, because it had rained the day before and the sun was coming out, so it wasn't unbearably hot and it was dry outside. I had just turned a corner from a back road onto a larger main road. The street goes slightly uphill, so I was giving it my all and pedaling really fast (plus I was running behind schedule and I was afraid that I was going to be late.) At that moment, my pedal decided to remove itself from my bike.

The pedal just fell off.

I flew through the air doing a somersault (which I'm hoping was graceful, because my fall certainly wasn't) and my bike also flew through the air behind me doing a somersault. I landed where your head meets your neck and fell with a thud on my back and my bike decided to land on top me.

Luckily, I had some adrenaline and I got up quickly before I was run over and a very nice Thai man got off his motorbike to help me hobble to the sidewalk and to fetch my pedal and other belongings from the middle of the road (how they got all the way to the middle of the road, I have no idea...)

The nice Thai man managed to tell me that I was badly hurt and that I could not ride my pedal-less bike. Unfortunately, I already knew these things and the information that he obviously worked very hard at finding the words for did not help me at all. hahaha

I called Mei and she sent Eric with the Kindergarten bus to pick me and my bike up. As I waited, I realized that I was bleeding quite a lot and it was quite possible that I might finally get to go to Bangkok- but that would be to go to the hospital. haha Eric picked me up and we drove to the school where 5 of the teachers left what they were doing to help me lay down and bandage me. haha I have cuts up and down both legs and my back, the skin of my right knee cap is no more, and I am black and blue all over. My leg was swollen for a couple days but is much better now. What concerns me most is the fact that I hit my head so hard and how three days later I'm still taking painkillers every few hours for it. I've talked to a few people about it and they think it is just whiplash and I really hope they are right, because I would rather not deal with anything more severe. haha My knee cap has managed to get infected but Mei had antibiotic cream, thank goodness. Basically, I'm a mess because of the damn bike.

Someone at the school fixed it. I don't know why. haha I'm not sure if I'll ever ride it again. I can't decide. Maybe I'll sell it.

I'll keep my pink helmet though. I love that.

5 comments:

marty said...

oh no katherine! i hope you are starting to feel better. hopefully it is just whiplash and nothing else. you should definitely keep your pick helmet regardless of what you do with the bike! it is so cute! i wonder why your pedal fell off the bike??? other than this incident, i hope all is going well with you. i love reading about your days over there. hope to talk with you soon. love you lots, marty

Petros said...

oh, i'm really sorry to hear about your injury! that sounds really painful. i can only imagine... it's great that you can still laugh about it, though. you should try and find a sturdier bike or something. hope all is well!

Genessa said...

Kat, how awful! I'm so sorry! I hope you're feeling better soon. It's nice you had some many people helping you out. I hope everything else is going well.

Ashley said...

So my fave line of the blog is... "I'm a mess because of the damn bike."

hhahaha! Oh Katty I miss you...Def keep the pink helmut even if you sell the blue bike!

Kelli said...

BE CAREFUL!!!!! I'm glad we got to talk yesterday. Only 12 more days before I leave. Yipee!! LOVE YOU, MOM XOXO