My Faves!

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Thai Cinema

This weekend has been quite a cultural experience. I have been immersed in Thai-ness.

My first immersion was because I was sick. I already knew that Thais were very honest about how they felt about your appearance- but seriously, this was ridiculous. These are the types of things people kept saying to me: "Miss Kat, you look very very sick, dark circles under the eyes, very pale, we are very very worried about", "Miss Kat, please go home, really, please go home now, do you you need me to take you to the hospital?" "Kat! you go home! understand??" "Katherine-hey!- are you okay? you look REALLY tired!" The constant worrying and telling me that I looked like crap continued for a full week. Mei and Eric were convinced that I needed to be rushed to Bangkok for injections. The reason I looked tired, was because I was tired! I mean, I run around after 4 year olds all day! I mean, seriously, it was just a sinus infection. I didn't think I looked that bad...

Because of the sickness, I thought the weekend was doomed. haha But I was wrong! On Friday I headed out to the streets and bought a pirated copy of "Get Smart" and got some take out. It was a lovely night of vegging on my bed / couch. Saturday came and I wandered out to the Big C where I found several clothing stalls. I bought a new skirt which I am very excited to wear to work tomorrow! That night I had a great idea for the next day...

Which led me to the cinema on Sunday! Going to the movies is actually very exciting in Thailand. When I first got here and heard people talking about it, I thought they were being stupid, I mean, it's the movies, it can't be that exciting or different from any other part of the world, right? Well, in Thailand, it is actually more different than you would think. Their are three different types of seats in the theatre with three different prices. Their is the normal seat, honeymoon seat, or the opera style seats. The theatre is set up more like a theatre for a play. You are assigned a seat with an aisle and number and everything. The seats are extremely comfortable. haha I got to the movies and chose the normal seat and was assigned seat F11. Then I went to get popcorn. They have different flavors of popcorn! haha The have regular popcorn, cheese flavored, and caramel corn! I was so excited about caramel corn! My mom used to help my sister and I make that from scratch when we were little. After the concessions you have to wait in the waiting area until they call your movie to go find your seats. haha So because I got there super early (unsure of how early to get to the very exciting Thai movie experience) I had to wait for a full 35 minutes before being able to sit down. This is because they don't let you in the theatre until the movie actually starts. haha After the previews, a short film about the king plays and everybody has to stand up while you watch it. If you don't... then well... I don't know.... It's a very bad idea not to stand for the king. hahahahaha Thai's respect the king deeply and I think you would prolly be kicked out of the theatre. hahaha

Anyways, that's why I went to the movies. Not for the actual movie, but for the stuff before the movie. hahahaha The ultimate Thai cinema experience.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

you know what, i've heard that about thai movie theaters. and the little part about the king too! did you end up seeing a thai movie or an english one?

marty said...

i hope you are starting to feel better! what movie did you see?

Genessa said...

Hey Kat! What an experience! When we visit you, we're definitely going to a movie! :) Are you still liking teaching? We all start this week, so we'll see how it goes. Hope you have a great week!

Ashley said...

umm how cool! I love foreign movie theaters...our theater in Florence was old and theaterish and had this nice comfy red velvet chairs! :) Man i wish i had the money to come visit!

Kelli said...

Hey Katherine Hanna! It felt really good talking to you today! Thank goodness for skype! I wish we could have had carmel corn together. YUM! LOVE YOU MOM XOXO

Petros said...

Those movie theaters sound awesome. You talked so much about the theater but didn't mention what movie you saw! I guess it must really be an experience.