My Faves!

Saturday, August 30, 2008

I want to ride my bi-cy-cle! I want to ride my bike!

One week ago:

The usual setting about 8 o'clock at night- everyone sitting outside the guest house/ school / bar.
I walk up drinking a diet coke and people ask me to join and I sit down.

Rick: I've been trying to think of a way for you to get back and forth from school.
Me: Me too. I think I'd like I bicycle, with a basket.
Rick: hmmm...
Everyone else: Nah, just get a motorcycle. A bicycle will take forever.
Me: I don't know if you've noticed but I'm really klutzy and I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a very good driver.
Willy: Motorbikes are so much easier than cars!
Me: No. I'll crash.
Willy: Healthcare is great here.
Me: I don't care. I don't want to get hurt in the first place.
Willy: Listen, I got in a really bad accident and they fixed me up for only $53.
Me: The healthcare will not be able to send my mom here.
Willy: A bicycle will take forever and you'll get all sweaty.
Me: I'm in good shape and I walk fast. I'm pretty sure a bicycle won't be a big deal.

I got up and at the same time attempted to sip my diet coke and walk to the trash can. I tripped and fell flat on my face, ending with a cut on my leg and a bump on the head.

Rick: She's really klutzy and she walks really fast.

So, today... I bought a bicycle!!! I'm so excited! I finally mastered the use of a baht bus (taxi) and I took one to the Big C (something like a giant-humongous-extra-super-walmart) and got my bike. The entire time I was singing "I want to ride my bicycle!" haha It is blue. I made sure it had reflectors, and I bought a lock, and... a motorcycle helmet!!! haha It's pink! I couldn't find a regular bike helmet for the life of me and I asked about it to a girl who spoke very good English and she told me they only had motorbike helmets. I decided a motorcycle helmet probably provided more protection anyway. I really like it! I'll prolly keep it forever! haha Anyways, lucky for me they were having a sale, so I got a really good deal. I bought everything and took it outside and took all the bubble wrap off right away and rode it home! I was kinda nervous riding it home, because I've never actually ridden a bike on a busy road before and these roads are busier than at home, plus the added facts that it was beginning to rain and they drive on the opposite side here, but then I figured that nobody would hit a stupid farang (foreigner) and I was wearing my helmet.

Anyways, here is my awesome bike, parked outside my apartment / the guest house / school / bar... I have no idea where I live. It's very confusing. haha



5 comments:

melissa said...

i love your pink helmet. that is the one i would have picked too.

aunt kim and uncle dan said...

I love the pink helmet

melissa said...

kat....mom is such a copy cat!!! plus she doesn't even know how to use the friggin' computer she calls and asks me how to do it.

Kelli said...

Well, let me tell you all!!! I am not a copycat but I also love the pink helmet!! LOL I hope your first day of "official" teaching went well for you. Can't wait to hear all about it. Hope to see you soon. Love you!! MOM XOXO

marty said...

let me add in...i, too, am also a fan of the pink helmet! can't wait to hear about your first day! love you!