My Faves!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Forgotten Things

Things that I have forgotten to mention:

1) People seem to forget that I am here because of a profession. I am a teacher. haha Anyways, I've taught a class for two days now. I really enjoy it. My class has about 10 people in it, all women aged from about 28 to 50. They love me! haha They really boost my self esteem. Anyways, the first day was kindof a disaster. I had no idea what to do because I had never watched anybody before and I had never been introduced or seen them or anything! But I didn't completely crash and burn... haha Then then second day went a lot better! I was so excited! They interviewed eachother about their names, where they were from, where they were born, and what their job was. Then I presented pictures of eat, wash, clean... action verbs. They acted out the pictures and guessed what the word was. Then they played tic-tac-toe, which they call X O's. They get really competitive here! I'm glad I had competitive roommates last year to teach me how to keep up! After class I stayed back a few minutes to talk to a few of the students. They are so friendly. I can't even begin to describe how nice they are here. You just don't find that kind of genuine niceness in the United States very often. I had a great time! I went straight home to work on my lesson for tomorrow!

2.) Pineapple! Fruit in general in absolutely amazing here! I love fruit and their is something magical about it here. haha In Thailand, I can buy it on the street at any time of the day. My favorite though, is when I buy it from teh carts that you can find wheeling by you on the street. I stop the cart and point to what I want (usually pineapple!) and they cut it up for me right there! It is so good! The pineapple is the best! I have also taken to gettingfresh pineapple juice in the restaurants. So good! Seriously, amazing!

3.) Sleep. Pattaya does not seem to sleep ever and therefore I do not sleep. I have never had very good sleeping patterns, but it has been very very bad here. When I got to southeast Asia about a month ago, I became a pretty good sleeper. I would go to bed like a normal person at night and usually sleep through it. I think it's because everybody wore me out. Now though, Pattaya keeps me awake at all hours. I am tired all the time. Tired and uncomfortable. My bed is very hard and I am always cold for some reason. Prolly cause I don't have sheets... haha I can solve this problem though. I had a very relaxing wonderful day today and I plan on sleeping allllll night long.

4.) Aerobics. My first few days in Pattaya I would get very annoyed every day at 6 o'clock when loud music could be heard outside my window when an aerobics class started. Then I found out that the class was free. I can now be found outside on the street doing aerobics everyday from 6 to 7 with all the Thai people. hahahaha

5.) Markets are a wonderful thing. I love bargain shopping. I love shopping. It cures all.

6.) Thai massage. Thai massage is a lot of stretching. I got one today for a total of $6. It was a full hour long. Afterwards I spent 15 minutes talking to 4 of the massage therapists outside the shop about where I was from, where they were from, etc. It was lots of fun.

I'm sure there are other things... but like I said, I am sleep deprived and I am going to sleep alllll night long tonight. Plus, that aerobics class really wore me out. hahahaha

5 comments:

Petros said...

Sounds like you're having an amazing time! That's great how you went from being annoyed at the aerobic class music to joining the class! People seem to be very friendly all around here... a waiter actually made a point to tell me and Graham that we are very good-looking Americans... our teacher said that people stare at us because they think all Americans are beautiful... who knew?

Anyway, good luck with teaching and sleeping!

marty said...

of course they are going to love you! who wouldn't!?! it sounds like your first couple of teaching days have gone very well. is it weird teaching people who are that much older than you? it would be weird for me. go get some sheets!! love you!

Anonymous said...

Wow Kat, I haven't checked you page in a few days and I just got all caught up! It was like I was on a mini adventure of my own. I am so happy that you are doing well. I love hearing about your days, it gives us all a little perspective back in the U.S. Also, all your pictures are beautiful! I wish I could see it in person! I can't wait to keep reading about your adventures, you should write a book after this experience. I would totally buy it! Love and miss you tons!

-Jacci :)

Kelli said...

Hey Katherine Hanna!! I loved being able to talk to you today even though our mics weren't working!!!! LOL I keep saying the same thing but you are amazing and I'm proud of you!! I love you!! MOM xoxo

Ashley said...

you of all people would join the aerobics class! hahah! oh katty! :) I'm glad you're doing good...miss you!