My Faves!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Exploring Pattaya


Over the weekend I decided to explore Pattaya. I have decided to stay here and teach Kindergarten and I needed to know whether or not I could live here. So Friday night the "ladies downstairs" (as they are often referred to as) decided to take me out on a girls night. We went to the famous Walking Street. Mostly famous for it's "lady-boys" (transvestites), discos, and bars. It was definitely an interesting experience being out in that environment with 4 Thai ladies. haha Walking Street kinda reminded me of New Orleans... except stranger in some ways. It's hard to describe. Anyways, it was fun. I had a good time, but it's something that I probably won't be doing too often. haha All of the girls took care of me and treated me like I was special or something, which was really nice. It made me feel welcome even though a lot of times I didn't understand what was going on. haha

With Raht, Kit, Da, and Reesa... the "ladies downstairs" at a disco.

Then on Saturday, we all stayed in and I went exploring. I found Pattaya beach and the strip where all the malls were. Not only does Pattaya have 2 malls, but it has 3 subways!! haha I got so excited. They don't have turkey though... I'll have to settle for chicken. Then Sunday we went to Koh Larn to go swimming. It's a little island that is about 20 minutes from here. We all hopped on various motorbikes and went to catch a ferry. The island doesn't have a dock, so you have to get off the ferry in the middle of the ocean and get on a very canoe. haha Transportation really fascinates me here. haha I can probably count the number of times I've been in a car. Every other time we go somewhere, it's in a strange new vehicle. haha Riding a motorcycle with three people on the back has become very comfortable to me. haha Anyways, the beach was pretty amazing. I'll probably be going there most weekends. It only cost $4 for the whole day. It was funny though, because nobody else wanted to swim. I swam all day. I found coral at the bottom of the ocean. Rick got in for a little while, and Rick's friend, Willy, did too. But nobody else wants to get any darker, so they stay fully clothed and under these huge tents.

My ultimate destination- Koh Larn and the cool big canoe that we hopped onto from the ferry in the middle of the ocean. haha

So far this week has been very busy with teaching, Thai class, and today I signed my contract. I only have 3 more lessons with my adult students and I am going to miss them. I am excited about my new job though. I am also going to be working part time for languagecorps, answering skype calls for potential languagecorp-ers who have questions. I think people should know what they are in for... I certainly had a lot of surprises when I got here. haha It'll be good though, cause I get free rent and a little bit of extra money. I'm hoping I'll be able to use it on more weekend trips and things.

Some of the ladies from my class! Kag, Manee, A, Toi, Fa, and Mhee.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I wish I could go swimming with you Katherine Hanna. I think I would love it there. It was great talking to you today. I miss your voice and seeing you!! I am glad you are having a great experience though. You will be sooo worldly when you come back home!1 Love you, MOM XOXO