My Faves!

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sua Suai

Kissing tigers.
My new pet.

Our only group pic and I got whacked in the head by a very strong tiger tail.

TIGER TEMPLE! I love tigers.
I'm very distracted right now. This is guaranteed to be a very disorganized blog post. My stomach and I are on the outs, which should prolly be another blog post.
Last weekend Tricia, James, and I headed to Kanchanaburi to see some tigers at the Tiger Temple. Which was awesome! I've been wanting to go there since August and I finally got to! So the Tiger Temple is a working temple with a bunch of tigers roaming about. We hung out and pet some humongous tigers (one weighed over 400 lbs.) and played with the little ones for a very long time. The day was full of picture taking. We got to kiss tigers and hug tigers and give them ice and walk them around on leashes and watch them wrestle and do all sorts of cute things. They also had buffalo (kwaii- it took me a long time to think of the English word, hahaha), deer, cows, and peacocks roaming about. One of the baby kwaii became quite infatuated with Tricia and wouldn't leave her alone while the peacocks enjoyed terrorizing James.
We left early in the morning and took a long taxi ride to a far away bus station and then caught a bus that kept leaking dirty brown water everywhere. When we got there we grabbed some lunch and hired a private baht bus for the day. We took a long (45 minutes) and beautiful drive to the temple. When we got there, Tricia and I were forced to buy some awesome fishermen's pants because silly me thought it would be okay to wear shorts. I don't know why I thought that. It is never acceptable to wear shorts to a temple. I should know better, but the fishermen's pants are a great color and comfortable and whatever, it isn't like I'm never gonna wear them. We finally got into the temple and wandered to the canyon were the big cats were chillin'. We talked to a couple of the volunteers for a little while, while we waited to get out pictures taken. They were all just backpackers who thought it'd be cool to hang out with tigers for a month or so. So who knows, maybe one day I'll volunteer at the tiger temple. Then a lady came to get me and took me all around the big cats and took my picture with each of them. They were awesome and had really awesome big paws. Then the three of us wandered over to the babies, where their were only a few volunteers and a lot of tatted up monks. We spent most of the day there just hanging out and wandering around. We got to play with the babies more and interact with them, so it was a lot of fun! Then we had to journey back to the bus station. Our bus ride back was less then enjoyable. I'd say we stopped at least 33 times to drop people off in random places. We were starving by the time we got back, so we celebrated the end of the day with a pizza party and watching Little Mermaid (my fave classic disney!). It was great. All in all, a wonderful day!

2 comments:

Petros said...

Wow, I don't think I would get that close to tigers... looks like you had fun, though.

Kelli said...

Katherine!!! Sounds like a great time! I wish I could have been there too! Can't wait to see you! Love you MOM xoxo