My Faves!

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Holy Shrimp!

My "Things to do before July 3" checklist is complete! I love checking things off lists. It makes me feel like I have accomplished something. Now I'm just busy packing! Today, Mom and I went to Target to get a year's supply of toiletries and medicine. I think I'm pretty much ready. It is kindof more stressful once you are ready than when you aren't. When you aren't prepared for things, you can kindof ignore it and just be excited. When you are prepared, it is the only thing you can think about. You are excited, nervous, antsy, scared, and happy all at the same time. I opened up my suitcases last night and laid out the clothes that I will need and picked out the few pairs of shoes that I am taking. I am only taking 5 pairs of shoes for an entire year. That seems crazy. I'm also only taking one zip-up sweatshirt. That's lunacy, if you ask me. I know it is hot there year-round, but I wear a sweatshirt most days of the week... no matter the weather.

Several people have asked me about the size of group that I am going with and I haven't been able to answer the question. Naturally, I have been very curious about it. I keep having dreams about it and all the dreams end up with me in an awkward situation. In one of the dreams, I am the only single person who isn't married and there with their husband. In another dream, I am the only girl in a pack full of guys. I finally decided to just email and ask my languagecorps correspondent, Linda. Well, Linda emailed me today and guess what? I am the only one starting the program in Thailand on August 2. No kidding. I never imagined it to be that way.

I know I told them when I applied that I was really excited about being independent, but I think being the only person there is little TOO independent for me. Luckily, I already dug out my Harry Potter coloring book and crayons to take with me. haha Linda assured me that in Cambodia there will be about 12 of us for that week. (The others are going to teach in Cambodia, Vietnam, and China.) She also said that their may be a few people who signed up directly with the university. She told me that this was very unusual and that usually they have 8-10 people going at a time. She also told me that I would get a lot of personal attention...

My biggest fear about going to Thailand was that I wasn't going to have any friends. People told me not to worry about it. I bet they won't say that anymore.

No comments: