My Faves!

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hua Hin

My shoes broke today. This is the third pair that have broken in the past couple weeks. They literally fall apart when I'm wearing them. I think they are melting or something... I don't know. I'm pretty sure that this pair can be salvaged. I'll try to get them fixed at the market. It'll be an experience.

I took a weekend getaway to Hua Hin on Friday and Saturday! We woke up Friday morning and headed to Victory Monument to catch a minibus for the equivalent of $6. Good deal for a 2 1/2 hour trip to the beach. Once we got there we found ourselves a cheap little guest house that was right on a dock. It was so nice falling asleep with just a fan and listening to the waves. We had a nice dinner on one of the dock restaurants, so we had a great view of the ocean. Then we wandered around the Hua Hin night market looking for the famous Hua Hin dessert... which ended up being a banana pancake. Apparently the writer for Lonely Planet didn't travel around the rest of Thailand??... maybe. I don't know. haha When we were walking through the market we saw a bunch of cameras and a crowd of people. After they passed by us we realized that it was the Prime Minister of Thailand! Ya, it was pretty exciting. haha It explained why we had never seen so much security in Thailand before until we got to Hua Hin. haha Then we decided to go get pedicures! It's the first pedicure I've gotten in Thailand and I needed one desperately. Feet here are pretty disgusting. You walk around barefoot everywhere and Bangkok air is the opposite of clean and pure. It literally settles on every surface imaginable and then you walk on it and your feet pick it up. Anyways, after the pedicure, my feet look about 22 (that's for you Ashley... haha) times better!

The next morning we slept in really late. It was great. Then we went and found out how we were supposed to get home, because we weren't really sure, found some lunch, and headed to the beach! As we were laying out our towels, I kept laughing at the ponies. haha Their were ponies and horses on the beach for riding. I think ponies are funny looking. haha They are midget horses. haha I personally would much rather have a horse. Anyways, it occurred to me that I really wanted to ride one. haha Tricia offered to watch my stuff and I grabbed myself a beautiful palamino to trot down the beach with. I felt really cool. haha

The rest of the day was spent being lazy and sleeping on the beach. I got a lot of sleep this weekend. I love sleeping. Before we headed back to the bus station, we stopped at the night market again for the some food. We found a new dessert here, which we both LOVED. haha Tricia told me that it was made of mulchi (sp??) which is flour made out of ground rice. They pan fry that and then cut it up and toss it in sugar, salt, and sesame seeds. Very exciting culinary experience. I also ended up buying a dress. I just can't help myself. The dress is Thailandy though, with changs (elephants) all over it, so I figured it was a justified buy.

All in all- great weekend. I would definitely go back to chill and getaway. It's a sizeable town, but it had a small town feel, beautiful white beach, and clean water! Lots of fun!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

sounds like a great weekend Katherine Hanna. you need to post some pictures!!!! Love you MOM XOXO