My Faves!

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Being Blonde

Before I begin- I should explain. My hair is somewhat of a circus attraction here. It is very blonde on top and has this silly ability to 'fro out of control (especially in this weather). It is very rare to see a natually blonde curly headed girl walking around. Even in Bangkok.

I finally got my haircut. It needed it. Badly. Not saying that I hadn't gotten any haircuts at all since I've been here, I've had one, but it was quite a while ago. Anyways, I've been extremely tired and sick lately, so I decided to make things easy on myself and walk down to the nearest high society salon and pay way more baht than I should. haha I thought it would be the less stressful. It was worth it though.

The place I went to was completely empty of customers except for a guy who was about done. I walked in and proceeded to get my hair washed. I had two different people wash my hair. One did shampoo, the other did conditioner. And no, I am not kidding. I should also mention that each one did at least a 5 minute head massage. haha

Then a separate girl came to strategically wrap up my hair in a towel.

I was taken to the haircutting chair. A different girl came to cut my hair. I told her I wanted a trim. haha Nothing special. She nodded like it was the most important direction anybody has ever given her. She proceded to comb my hair. She combed my hair for a very VERY long time. She kept parting it and re-parting it. She examined the different colors and layers of my hair by clipping it up in layers.

She FINALLY cut my hair.

Then the combing began again.

I was about to ask her if she was finished because I was very tired and needed a nap, when...

Three other girls walked over, each carrying a blow dryer. I recognized them from the towel wrapping and hair washing. I had three different blow dryers pointing at my head and three different round brushes trying to flatten the frizz at the same time. It was a surreal experience. I felt like the lion on Wizard of Oz when they all curl his mane.

I was finally finished. It was a good haircut. Not great- but good. I got a head massage at the same time though and I needed one, so I was pleased. I paid and left a tip. I have no idea who the tip went to because their were so many different stylists. I walked out the door and looked at my watch. I had been there for a solid 2 hours. That's quite a long haircut when you are the only customer, you didn't have a to wait at all, and all you really wanted was a trim.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Ha Ha! China all over again!! I love it. I bet it felt soooo great! I love you MOM XOXO

PS I will have to let Desi know about your experience. She always asks me how you're doing with the hair!